Youth Mental Health For Young People
It's fair to say the past 2 years have not exactly been easy, and many of us are feeling uncertain or anxious about the future. But there's loads of things we can all do to look after our mental wellbeing, and taking any time you can for self-care is massively important, especially now. Knowing what steps we can take to support our mental wellbeing can help us feel better, sleep better and have better relationships with the people around us – and that goes not just for today but for the future too.
Top Ways to help with good mental health & wellbeing
- Create an environment where all health issues, both physical
and mental, are treated equally.
- Ensure that there is always time and space for talking about
- Normalise the idea that we all need to take care of our
mental health throughout school with a range of promotional
materials, outside facilitators and speakers. Ensure staff are
around afterwards to notice and pick up on anyone who might
want to talk.
- Plan in specific 1-to-1 check in times with students to
ask if students are okay. This can enable staff to
pick up on any changes.
- Don’t allow negative attitudes or comments about mental
health to go unchallenged.
- Never treat mental health issues as a weakness or someone’s
fault – you wouldn’t blame a person for having a physical illness